Above and Below, Left and Right
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Kindergarten Measurement - K.MD.A.2
Tips For Teaching Students to Understand Position - In mathematics, the position is important to understand for the students. For instance, the position of place values or the position of decimal points in a sum. Various tips can help your students understand the importance of position in mathematics. Firstly, the importance of understanding place value, the students must know about ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands when they wish to write number names. Understanding the importance of number positions in decimals can help your students to solve problems effectively. These worksheets and lessons show students how to communicate the position of an object.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Higher Than Roosters Step-by-Step Lesson- Name the animals that are above the rooster and which tigers faces the left.
- Guided Lesson - I did this one in color, but it does print very well in black and white.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - This is a good time to bring the compass rose into their lives.
- Practice Worksheet - Yes, it is nine pages long, but it really helps kids space out the concepts.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the visual problems to their answers.
- Animals Facing Left and Right Worksheet- This is an interesting sheet because you have to put yourself in the animals shoes to answer it correctly.
- Bunny Mark Above and below Guided Lesson - Two things are above the bunny and three things are below him. What are they?
- Bunny Mark Above and below Guided Lesson Explanation- I labeled the arrows just to make sure it worked out.
- Above and Below Guided Lesson 2 - Talk about a random mixed of objects and items.
- Above and Below Guided Lesson 2 Explanation- I find the legend/key to be very helpful for this skill.
- The Fishy Above and Below Guided Lesson- Angling these fish was a new graphics program experience for me.
- Left and Right Step by Step Lesson- I added a rise to the animals, just in case you wanted to touch on above and below too.
- Left and Right Guided Lesson 2- Arrows really make this one stick out more in students minds.
- Position of Left and Right Worksheet- There are some trick questions here. I wouldn't be surprised if kids had lots of questions.
- Practicing Above and Below Worksheet- Reading skills really come into play here.
- The Bee Above and Below Worksheet- Not sure if it is a bee as much as it is butterfly.