Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 7 Numbers - 7.NS.A.2a
How to Create Reciprocals - Have you ever come across reciprocals? If you haven't, let us tell you that reciprocals are the most interesting part of mathematics. In its true essence, reciprocal of a number is when we divide 1 by the number. For example, the reciprocal of the number 8 is 1/8. If you want to understand reciprocals and know the trick of creating them, let's find out how you can create reciprocals. Follow the instructions to create reciprocals: To create a reciprocal, simply divide 1 by the given number. If the number is not a whole number and is a fraction, you can create its reciprocal by flipping the number. For example, the fraction is 2/3; it's reciprocal would be 3/2. The reciprocal of a variable x/ (x-1) would be x-1/x; it is simply the upside-down of the variable. Another form of reciprocal is called flipping a flip; in this form, you create a reciprocal and get the answer, then create the reciprocal of the answer and get it back in its original form. This is called flipping a flip. Reciprocal in it's simplest form is also notation. The reciprocal of x is 1/x or x - 1. This is the reciprocal as well as notation of x. These worksheets and lessons will help students under what a reciprocal is and how to create them.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Writing Reciprocals Step-by-Step Lesson- Start with an easy fraction and then we give you a mixed number.
- Guided Lesson - See if you can expand all the choices here into mix numbers or whole numbers after determining the reciprocal.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - See if you like the way I wrote the standard explanation. I think it works well.
- Practice Worksheet - This is definitely different, somewhat of an outcast from the other printables here.
- Matching Worksheet - You might need to reduce the fractions in a few areas to determine the final outcome here.
It sure does start off easy. Then we introduce students to reciprocals of mixed numbers.
By the time students complete these, reciprocals are an automatic skill.