Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Operations - 2.OA.3
Things You Need to Know About Consecutive Numbers - Consecutive numbers may seem like a straightforward concept. But when it comes to the mathematical definition of it, there are different views about its meaning. Consecutive numbers can be defined as: - Numbers that follow each other in regular counting order, from the smallest to the largest number are called as consecutive numbers. - Integers n1 and n2 are arranged such that n1 - n2 = 1 and n2 come after n1. Integers arranged in this order give us consecutive numbers. Consecutive numbers are often confused with multiples. Number 2, 4, 6 are not consecutive numbers, they are consecutive multiples of 2, which means that they are adjacent numbers. You may be asked about the odd and even consecutive numbers. In that case, you take an odd or even number and consider the next odd or even number. That means if you take 2 as your first even number, then the next even consecutive numbers would be 4, 6, 8, and so on. Similarly, if you take 15 as your odd number, the series of odd consecutive numbers would look like 15, 17, 19, 21. Consecutive numbers can also be represented algebraically. For algebraic representation, you take the number as x. The following consecutive numbers would be x + 1, x + 2, x + 3. If you are asked for even consecutive numbers, then you select the first number as even, you can do this by choosing 2x as your first even consecutive number. The series would appear like 2x + 2, 2x + 4, 2x + 6. The series of odd consecutive numbers would look like 2x+1, 2x+3, 2x+5. The worksheets show students how to calculate values and understand consecutive integers.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Naming Mystery Consecutive Numbers Step-by-Step Lesson- These are very typical test type questions.
- Guided Lesson - Circle the consecutives, find even and odd consecutives too.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I think I went a little too far on the answer to number two, but it is very complete.
- Practice Worksheet - Read each problem carefully on this one. I kept the font small so that it would print on one sheet.
- Matching Worksheet - Match what each problem asks for.
- Consecutive Numbers Match Lesson - We give you sequences and you tell us if all the numbers are consecutive.
- Consecutive Numbers 5 Pack - List the given numbers from high to low and then tell if the sequence is consecutive.
- Reordering The Numbers Worksheet - Rewrite the numbers so they are sequential and then analyze each sequence.
This is perfect for the grade level. Some of three digit selections are really tough for kids.
- Homework 1 - You will order these values from the lowest to greatest value and then evaluate the entire set.
- Homework 2 - Similar skills to the previous homework sheet, but we go after larger values.
- Homework 3 - One more look at this skill for you.
While we're at it, why not throw in a number comparison activity too?
Math Skill Quizzes
Just make sure that you realize that this type of work appears often on the national and state assessments for this level.