Absolute Value and Basic Operations Worksheets
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 7 - 7.NS.A.1c
How Does Absolute Value Affect the Order of Math Operations? When solving an equation, students need to understand the levels of math. There are four basic arithmetic operations that a student will come across in an equation. However, they have to follow an order when solving the equation, and that order is known as PEMDAS. P - Parenthesis, E - Exponents, M - Multiply, D - Divide, A - Add, S - Subtract An easy way to remember this order is to remember the phrase "Parachute Expert, My Dear Aunt Sally." You start solving an equation by solving whatever there is in parenthesis followed by exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction. A lot of students get confused when they see a value in modulus or an absolute value. They do not know what they have to do with it. We know that absolute value signs make the final result of operation positive. When you come across such value in an equation, you need to treat the absolute value bars like parenthesis, thus solving them at the initial stage. These worksheets and lessons take into account the concept of absolute value and the operations that may affect them.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Addition and Subtraction Operations with Absolute Value Lesson- We start with sums and differences. Remember to do the brackets first.
- Division and Multiplication Operations with Absolute Value Lesson - Many students have difficulty with division within this skill.
- Basic Operations Guided Lesson - We cover all four types of operations.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - This is more of an overview than the previous lessons.
- Addition and Subtraction Operations Practice Sheet - The operations are combined. For in depth single operation look below.
- Division and Multiplication Operations Practice Sheet - Once again, students can always use extra practice on division.
Single Operations Involving Absolute Value Practice Sheets
Twenty problems that involve only one type of operation with absolute value.
- Sum Operations 1 - What is the end value.
- Sum Operations 2 - What is that?
- Difference Operations 1 - This might take a minute or more.
- Difference Operations 2 - Don't double negatives make your day?
- Multiplication Operations 1 - When the products come, they sure do!
- Multiplication Operations 2 - A tremendous amount of product.
- Quotient Operations 1 - How does division change this at all?
- Quotient Operations 2 - This really takes a steady hand.