Horizontal Bar Charts
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Measurement - 2.MD.D.10
How to Read Horizontal Bar Charts? Data visualization makes analysis of data easy, simple, and less time-consuming. There are many different ways we can visually display data. Pie charts, histograms, tally-frequency charts, dot and plot, scatter plot and bar graphs. Bar graphs, both vertical and horizontal, are the most common ways of visualizing data. A bar graph is made using rectangular bars which have lengths and heights proportional to the values they are representing. A horizontal bar graph has rectangular bars stretching horizontally. Reading a horizontal bar graph is easy. Here is how you can effectively read and understand the data a horizontal bar graph represents. The title of the bar graph tells the nature of the data and tells exactly what the bars on the graph are representing. The vertical axis on a horizontal bar graph represents the categories of data. The horizontal axis on a horizontal bar graph represents the corresponding values for each data value. The scale on a horizontal bar graph tells us the value of one unit on the horizontal as well as the vertical axis. These worksheets and lessons help students learning how to read and understand horizontal bar graphs.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- School Subjects Step-by-Step Lesson- I used what is referred to as the blob method here.
- Guided Lesson - Lions, giraffes, and elephants; which one would be your favorite? I am particularly fond of elephants. One in Dumbo's column for me.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I might have been a little too simplistic with these explanations, but we'll see.
- Practice Worksheet - 2 bar graphs for you to pick apart they are both vertical though.
- Matching Worksheet - Vertical again, I will have to post the horizontal views next month, shoot me an email; if I forget.
We use pictographs to ease them into the skill here.
- Homework 1 - Students were asked their favorite fruit. The results of the poll can be found below.
- Homework 2 - Which animal is the most popular?
- Homework 3 - Count the number of each type of children food item in every row.
We now move on to the next logical progression.