Fraction Multiplication (Unlike Denominators)
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Fractions - 5.NF.A.1
How Do You Multiply Fractions with Unlike Denominators? One of the four basic arithmetic operations, multiplication, is tricky to understand for kids. However, if we look at this operation closely, there is not must we need to be scared about. When it comes to applying operations between fractions, multiplication is a much more straightforward operation in comparison to addition, subtraction, and division. So, there are two cases of multiplication of fractions. The first one is when both fractions have the same denominator, and the second case is when the fractions do not have the same denominators. While there is not much difference between the multiplication process in both cases, the unlike denominators can scar the students. Use this example to understand how you multiply fractions with unlike denominators. Example: Multiply 3/7 and 5/11 What you need to do here, multiply the numerator of the first fraction with the numerator of the second one. Do the same with the denominators. Multiply the denominator of the first fraction with that of the second fraction. (3×5) / (7×11) = 15/77 If the fraction can be further simplified, you need to reduce it to its simplest form. A collection of worksheets and lessons that shows you how to multiply unlike fractions.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Multiply Across Step-by-Step Lesson- Some people work on the bottom first and then the top, but it really doesn't matter.
- Guided Lesson - Top light fractions that create bottom heavy fractions.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Fractions of fractions sometimes trip up kids.
- Horizontal Worksheet 5 Pack -The setup will require you to rewrite them to help make sense. A good habit to get into.
- Practice Worksheet - You will find a number of like fractions in these sets
- Matching Worksheet - Find the products of the fractions and write the letter.
- Multiplying Like Fractions Five Pack - I thought this would be a good place to throw this in.
- Fractions of Area Worksheet - Practice writing multiplication sentences.
- Fraction and Whole Number Multiplication Worksheet - We ask you to finalize the number as mixed number.
- Fraction Multiplication Sentences Practice and Lesson - A unique way to look at things.
- Multiplying Fractions By Whole Numbers Lesson and Practice - Breaking fractions into pieces.
- Fractions Times Whole Numbers (With Visuals) - Using the images to do the problems makes it much easier.
Remember to tell the kids to multiply across the pond and then rewrite your product.
- Homework 1 - Multiply the first fraction by the second fraction.
- Homework 2 - Try flipping the largest numerator first.
- Homework 3 - This time try it the other way around.
You have lots of space to work with here. Make sure to use it.