Operations Between Fractions and Whole Numbers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 - 5.NF.A.1, 5.NF.B.4
How Do You Find a Fraction of a Whole Number? Fractions and whole numbers are a different sort of concept in mathematics. More complicated than others, they require a lot more attention and focus when working on them. Yes, this is a complicated situation to deal with. As we know, many students find fractions and whole numbers intimidating. They fear the fact they can become as complicated as they could possibly think about them to become. Are you also one of those who fear to deal with whole numbers? Well, we have your back and tell you how you can find a fraction of a whole number. To find the fraction of a whole number, multiply the numerator of the fraction with the number given and then divide the product with the denominator of the fraction. Consider the following example: Find 1/3 of 21. To find the fraction of this number, multiply the numerator, which is 1 here with 21, and then divide the product 21 with the denominator which is 3 in this case. 1/3 x 21 = 7. This is how you find a fraction of the whole number. These worksheets and lessons help students understand how to find a fractional value of a whole number.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- How to Find a Fraction of a Whole Number Lesson- What's three-fifths of twenty? We show you how to handle these problems with ease.
- Guided Lesson - We work on several problems involving the sales of skateboards, shoveling driveways as a team, and buying an Xbox One.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - All of these problems are several steps. Students should outline the problem first.
- Practice Worksheet 1 - Simple as riding a unicycle.
- Matching Worksheet - Students have more difficulty with this sheets than coming up with the answer on their own.
All the sheets slide between products and quotients with fractions involved.
- Homework 1 - Multiplying - Turn the "of" statement into a multiplication symbol and rewrite the problem.
- Homework 2 - Finding Missing - Rewrite the whole number as a fraction by writing it over 1.
- Homework 3 - Dividing
These are the more difficult sheets of the topic.