Addition of Three Integers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Operations - 2.NBT
Tips for Adding Three Integers - Adding numbers can be a confusing task when there are negative integers in the mix as well. Thus, it is necessary that the kids understand which integer should be solved first, depending on the type of integer. To solve these integers swiftly, the following set of tips needs to be kept in mind. Firstly, you need to learn which types of integers are present in a single question. For instance, 5 + (-6) + 3. In this equation, you can see that there are two positive integers and one negative integer. Thus, in such a scenario, you can add positive ones together and subtract the negative ones later. In another scenario, if there are two negative integers and one positive integer. For instance, -4 + (-6) + 3, the negative integers will be subtracted first. Then, you can add the positive integer 3 to the answer. In this series of lessons and worksheets students will learn how to find the sum of three integers.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Adding Three Numbers Step-by-Step Lesson- I like to start this by adding double digits. Later we progress to three digit integers.
- Guided Lesson - Three problems for you to practice with.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - To make sure they make sense, each problem gets it's own page.
- Three Number Column Addition 5 Pack -Single digits only at first. Get them in a rhythm with this one.
- Adding Three 3-Digit Numbers - We start to take on larger sets of numbers.
- Sums of Three Numbers Practice Worksheet - I mix around three digits and two digits in this pack of three integer sums.
- Adding Large Numbers - Another five pack for you. I might have over did it on practice for this skill.
- Sums of Three Numbers Lesson and Practice - A nice practice to catch up students that might be behind.
- Sums of Three Single Digit Numbers Worksheet - Twenty quick single digit - three integers sums.
- Sums of Three Single Digit Numbers Lesson and Practice - Yet another practice pack for you.
- Visual Sums of 3 Numbers 5 Pack - A neat way of doing sums in a word and picture format.
- Practice Worksheet - With the practice, I stick with adding two digit integers.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the horizontal sums of three integers to their totals.
- Sums of 4 Integers Worksheet - If you want to advance students to the next level, this would be it.
All the sums are setup vertically for you to work with.
- Homework 1 - Start by adding the ones column.
- Homework 2 - Step two is to carry the one to the tens place and add the tens place.
- Homework 3 - The last step is to carry the one and add the hundreds place.
I sprinkled a few fun facts in here for you.
- Practice 1 - Make sure to start with the ones place and add right to left.
- Practice 2 - Anytime you get a number that is greater than 9, carry that extra digit into the next place value.
- Practice 3 - If you are adding numbers with different place values pay attention to the numbers and place zeroes before you start in empty place.
Math Skill Quizzes
We stick to two integers and three integer sets. If you are looking for single integer sets, try the practice sheets.
- Quiz 1 - It is best to keep a running tally as you add 3 or more numbers.
- Quiz 2 - I find it best to cross out numbers that have already undergone operations.
- Quiz 3 - When adding 3 or more single digit numbers. It is easiest to add even numbers first. If they are all even, add the smallest numbers first. This organizes it better for you.