Four Digit Addition
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Operations - 2.NBT
Tips for Adding Two Four-Digit Values - To make kids understand the addition of larger numbers, you need to tell them different ways to do so. However, the basic method for adding two four-digit numbers is that it needs to line up perfectly. Such that, you can place one number over the other such that the ones, tens, hundreds and thousands are on top of each other. Let us take an example. We have to add two numbers, 4567 and 2456. 4567 + 2456 = 7023. The ones are added together at first, i.e. 7 + 6 = 13. Then you can take 1 carry to the tens place and add it with the other two numbers. The numbers are then added together, i.e. (6 + 5 + 1 =12). 1 will be further carried to the hundreds' lineup. The next two numbers are 5 and 4, which will be added with the carried 1 (5 + 4 + 1 = 10). The 1 will be further carried to the thousands' column; and will be added with 4 and 2 to give the answer of 7. These lessons and worksheets will have students learn to find the sums of two four-digit values.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Four Digit Addition Step-by-Step Lesson- We walk you through all the steps you need to know to add large sums.
- Guided Lesson - Work away on your guided lesson island.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I walk you through all the place values necessary to find the right path of answering these problems.
- Grid Style 5 Pack -The grids make it easy to follow the place values.
- 4 Digits to 4 Digit Addition - Five printable pages of practice for you to work with.
- Practice Worksheet - A nicely spaced worksheet for you to get more practice in.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the sums to their total. This is done in a horizontal format to make for an easier setup.
Alignment is everything with these.
- Homework 1 - This moves from an example to a matching worksheet.
- Homework 2 - The commas make their way in for the final answers.
- Homework 3 - I wish I could make all this sit in a straight line.
Lots of matching problems for you to contend with.