Patterns through Colors
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Precursor to Kindergarten - K.G.B.4
Tips for Spotting Simple Patterns - Spotting any pattern is at the heart of mathematics. It is the core concept to develop an understanding of the students. While there are many patterns that may lead you astray and make you confuse what it is all about, the ability to recognize or identify a particular pattern that extends is extremely important. It is as simple as identifying a change in a sequence or series. If you feel like you find difficulty in finding a mathematical pattern, here we share with you a few tips to spot the pattern quickly and effectively. Look for the following patterns when trying to identify a pattern. A change in the color of the shapes, pictures and objects. If you see a consistent change in the series occurring in events, you have identified the pattern. Follow it to get the final result. Rotation in the series. In a number series, if you find two or more numbers repeating or occurring at the same rate as rotation, know that there is a pattern in there. Change in shape. A change in the shape of the objects is also a hint saying that the series has a pattern. The same goes for the change in size. The changes in the size of an object also refer to a pattern.
Printable Worksheets and Lessons
- Abstract Shapes: Step-by-Step Lesson- Sorry, you will need to print this one in color.
- Guided Worksheet - I started the patterns for you. Now it's time for you to finish them.
- Guided Explanation - These are all 1-2-1-2 patterns. At this level, the basic goal is for kids to understand what a pattern is.
- Independent Practice Worksheet - We start by asking for the last 2 objects. Then we ask for the last 4.
- Matching Worksheet - At first glance, the worksheets is simple. Remember, there are 2 parts to each problem.
We do a lot of 1-2-1-2 patterns to give students some confidence. We advance beyond this in the worksheets.
- Lesson 1 - Look at the color sequence and try to figure out the color pattern they are follow.
- Lesson 2 - Here, every color repeats after every other color. The pattern they are follow is: 1 - 2 - 1- 2 - 1 - 2...
- Lesson 3 - Color in the rest of the boxes to follow the pattern.
These are more challenging, with larger numbers and more complicated patterns.