Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Precursor to Kindergarten - K.MD.A.1
What is Half of Something? An important concept that we must know in mathematics and our everyday lives is of halving a shape, object, or a quantity. Understanding this concept can ease out a lot of complicated problems in life. What is Halving? Well, halving is the partitioning of a shape, object, or a quantity in two equal and identical parts. To half a geometrical shape, you just have to cut through the symmetrical axis. When you place the partitioned part on top of each other, they fit perfectly on top of each other. When it comes to halving numbers, you simply have to divide the quantity by 2. You multiply the quantity with the fraction 1/2 to half it. Consider the following example; Example: Jonny had 50 cents and he wants to divide it equally among his two sons equally. What is the share that each of his sons will receive? You multiply 50 cents with 1/2 and get the answer 25, this will be the share of each of John's son.
Printable Worksheets and Lessons
- Half a Pizza Slice: Step-by-Step Lesson- This builds up to fractions and the concept of symmetry.
- Guided Worksheet - Tracing
the line will cut it in half. Then color.
- Guided Explanation -
Make sure to color one side of each object. This helps the concept sink in.
- Independent Practice Worksheet - All types of different objects for you to cut in half.
- Matching Worksheet - Yes, an easy one! This will really help students shore up their understanding.
Color in half of a circle and then a triangle.
- Lesson 1 - Half tells us that we want to break the object into two equal parts. The easiest way to determine half of something is to find what we think is the middle. Draw a line right down that middle.
- Lesson 2 - The quickest way to do this is to find the middle of the object or shape. Draw a line down this middle.
I tried to combine geometric shapes with objects so that students start seeing connections between them.