Multiplying a Vector by a Matrix
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
High School - HSN-VM.C.11
How to Multiply a Vector by a Matrix? Multiplication between a matrix and a vector is very common. In order to learn about how multiplication between a matrix A and a vector X, also known as matrix-vector product, all we need to do is view vector X as a column matrix. Therefore, if A is a vector m x n matrix (i.e., multiplied with n columns), the product Ax is defined by n x 1. If we let A x = b, then b is m x 1 column-vector. To put it simply, the number of rows in A determines the number of rows in product b. It may confuse you in the first look, but the process is quite simple. It only takes the dot product of x to be multiplied with each of the row of A. This is the reason the number of columns in A has to be equal the number of elements/components in vector x. These worksheets will help you understand how to find the products of a vector and a matrix. The lessons show you how step by step.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Matrix Products Step-by-step Lesson- I always have to triple check these. I'm not a big fan of writing variables as subsets.
- Guided Lesson - I kept this one to two products to give you the ability to space it out.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - It takes a lot of space to answer these problems.
- Practice Worksheet - Again, I purposely minimized the number of problems to give you more space to write.
- Advanced Skills Matching Worksheet - This sheet covers a few algebra skills as well. This is for your higher level thinkers.
This is where I usually have students draw lines to show how to process the product of the values.
- Homework 1 - The first matrix (c) has 3 rows. The second matrix (x) has 1 column. So the product will have 3 rows and 1 column (3 x 1).
- Homework 2 - You need to figure out the number of rows and columns the product will have. This is determined by the number of rows of the first matrix.
- Homework 3 - We have many three by ones here.
These are orientated slight differently than the homework. I have seen this format on several different assessments.
Math Skill Quizzes
Test out your skills on this topic.