Add, Subtract, and Multiply Matrices
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
High School - HSN-VM.C.8
How to Add, Subtract, and Multiply Matrices? Operations on matrices is a relatively easier concept. However, it requires precision and keen focus to learn to solve them. A matrix is an array of numbers, with a set of rows and columns. Let's deal with all three operations individually. Addition - The addition is the most straightforward operation, given that you only have to match the position of elements to solve them. You would add the matching positions within the matrices and find their sum. For instance, if you are adding two (2 x 2) matrices, add the value of the upper lefts together, then move to upper right, and so on. Subtraction - Subtraction is similar to addition, where you need to match the position of elements and find the difference they are placed right where they are located. Multiplication - Two multiply two matrices, we don't look at the position of the elements alone. Moreover, you cannot multiply every matrix. For matrix multiplication, you need to fulfil a condition, i.e. m × n × n × p, where all the alphabets represent rows and columns of the matrices. Here, both n should be equal for multiplication to work. After proving the condition, multiply both matrices, you need to do dot product. In other words, you have to multiply the first row of the first matrix with each column of the second matrix and then multiply the next row similarly and so on. Let us solve an example. These worksheets and lessons show you how to perform basic operations with matrices. We fill that division does require it's own topic and that why you see the topic in the Numbers and Quantity section.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Matrix Differences Step-by-step Lesson- Find the missing number in a basic matrix subtraction problem.
- Guided Lesson - We do all three skills with matrices on this one.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - As you probably guessed the product requires a lot more explanation that sums and differences of matrices.
- Practice Worksheet - Ten problems all in the missing number format to give students a reference when learning the skill.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the missing number to the question mark in the matrix.
- Multiplication Matching Worksheet - This one specifically works on matrices multiplication.
- Multiply a Matrix by a Number Five Pack - This is what happens when matrices and whole number collide.
- Multiplication of Matrices Five Pack - Straight up products for you to play with.
- Solve the Matrix Equation Five Pack - Just find your bearings with the first one and then advance on.
- Addition of Matrices Five Pack - Find the sums of the various sized matrices.
- Subtraction of Matrices Five Pack - Differences always are more fun than sums.
What is missing from your matrix?
Each sheet focuses on a different operation. We didn't mix them up, so you can work on one at a time.
Math Skill Quizzes
Most of the problems are looking for the finished sum, difference, or product of the matrices.