Multiplication of Complex Numbers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
High School - HSN-CN.B.5
How to Perform Basic Operations with Complex Numbers (NB) Complex numbers are the combination of a real number and an imaginary number in the form a + bi Here, a and b are the real numbers, whereas i is the imaginary number. As you will move up in grade, you will be faced with complex mathematics problems to solve. You will come across problems that will require you to perform operations on real and imaginary numbers together. In such a case, you would be required to write them in the form of a complex number to be able to add, subtract, multiply, or divide them. Follow the steps to perform basic mathematical operations on these complex numbers. Add the like ones. Add the real part of the complex number to the real part and the imaginary part to the imaginary part of the number. To subtract them, make sure to arrange the real parts at one side and the imaginary to the other side, then perform subtraction. Multiply the complex numbers combining the like terms in the complex number and using the FOIL method. To perform division on two complex numbers, start by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate, then expand and simplify. After it is done, write the final answer in standard form.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Add and Subtract of Complex Numbers Step-by-step Lesson- We focus on understanding
the sum and difference rules of complex numbers.
of Complex Numbers Lesson - I thought it best to separate the
product in this lesson because it is a much different method than
- Guided Lesson
- We practice on every form of the standard.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- The steps you need to take to compete these problems are clear
cut and straight forward.
- Practice Worksheet
- Another ten problems that will help you work towards the mastery
of this skill.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the complex numbers and their operations to their sum, product, or difference.
- Addition and Subtraction of Complex Numbers Five Pack - See if you can figure out the pattern that I fit in here.
- Multiplying and Dividing Complex Numbers Five Pack - Make no mistake there are more products than quotients in these.
- Absolute Value of Complex Numbers Five Pack - Some of these numbers are super complex.
- Addition and Subtraction of Complex Numbers Five Pack - A slight reverb of the first five pack, but it is a slight bit more sophisticated.
More subtraction will be added soon.
We focus on the use of the operations and the final outcome.
Math Skill Quizzes
Can't be a good operation working sheet for complex numbers.