Creating Equations and Inequalities
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
High School - HSA-CED.A.1
How to Create Equations and Inequalities from Word Problems - Solving word problems in Algebra deals with understanding the knowns and unknowns mentioned in the question. Spotting inequalities in the word problem is just as significant as spotting the known and unknown variables in it. Let’s take an example. Jane is planning a birthday party at a local family park. The park charges $50 for the party, while it also costs $5 for each person that attends the party. Jane’s total budget is no more than $200. Write the inequality equation and find out how many people can she invite? The problem uses the words "no more than," which means that she cannot spend more than $200. Let us consider the unknown to be "p," which tells us the number of people she wants to invite. Now the inequality equation becomes. 50 + 5p ≤ 200 For solving the equation, first, you need to subtract 50 to both sides of the inequality. 50 + 5p - 50 ≤200 - 50, 5p ≤ 150 Now, you have to divide both sides with 5, to find the value of p. 5p / 5 ≤ 150 / 5 You will get an answer of 30 from the right-hand-side. p ≤ 30 In hindsight, it means that Jane can invite no more than 30 people to her birthday party. These worksheets and lessons will teach students how to write their own equations and inequalities.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Writing Equations
Step-by-step Lesson- Many people label these word problems,
but in reality we are creating an equation from a scenario.
- Guided Lesson
- This truly is a powerful skill, if kids can master it. It really
helps them with word problems universally.
- Guided Lesson
Explanation - I like to explain these by breaking them down
piece by piece.
- Practice Worksheet
- All of these are word problem based questions. We require you
to think up your own equation or inequality.
- Algebraic Representation
Five Pack - You are given an equation based sentence. Now write
the actual equation for us.
- Writing Sentences as
Equations Five Pack - I tried to keep the number of words in
each sentence to a minimum.
- Matching Worksheet
- Match the scenario to the equation or inequality that represents
Make sure to remind students to read very carefully.
- Homework 1 - Rollika bought 7 cartons of chips. Each carton contained 10 packs of chips. She sold one carton of chips to a customer.
- Homework 2 - A bakery sells ten sausage links and fifteen bottles of cold water for every pastry sold. Write an expression to determine the total number of items sold.
- Homework 3 - Jennifer receives a salary of $5,000 and deposits that amount into her bank account. She wants to have a minimum of $1,000 in the account. She withdraws $200 per month for clothes and food. How many times can Jennifer withdraw money for clothes and food? Write an inequality to explain.
The wording in these is very mixed up on purpose to make sure students understand the purpose of their equation.
- Practice 1 - 60 friends went on a trip. 15 friends travelled in each bus. Find out how many buses were used for the trip?
- Practice 2 - Jacob brought 4 boxes of books. Each box contains 30 books. He gave one box to his friend. Write an equation that would express this scenario.
- Practice 3 - Anny runs a furniture shop. Every day she sells 1 dining table for every two kitchen tables and four chairs. Write an expression to determine the number of furniture pieces that Anny sells every day.
Math Skill Quizzes
The first three quizzes are more of a review. The last two quizzes are in the previous format.
- Quiz 1 - A number fifteen times is seventy five.
- Quiz 2 - Thrice a number decreased by seventeen.
- Quiz 3 - Thirty diminished by nine times a number.
- Quiz 4 - Ronnie is a sales person for electronics company. Every month he sells electronics in this ratio one laptop for every 10 mobile phones, and 5 MP3 players. Write an expression to determine the number of electronics Ronnie sells every month.
- Quiz 5 - Johan scored 250 runs in baseball. He requires 600 runs to qualify for premier league. He scores 20 runs during the average game. How many games does he have to play to score the remaining runs he needs?