Strategies For Using Math Basic Operations
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 3 Operations - 3.OA.5
What Are the Properties of Math Operations? Commutative Property- The commutative property is when changing the order of the operands does not affect the result. It is a property that is applicable in addition and multiplication problems. The position of the operands can be changed, and the result will be the same. 2+3=5 , 2x3=6 When you change the place of the addends and factors; 3+2=5 , 3x2=6 The result remains the same. Associative Property - When there is multiplication or an addition expression that contains more than one occurrence, the order in which the operations are performed does not matter. The result will be the same as long as the sequence of the operands stays the same. 2+(3+5)=10 Re-arranging the addends; (2+3)+5=10, the answer remains the same. 2x(3x5)=30 Re-arranging the factors; (2x3)x5=30, the answer remains the same. Distributive Property- The distributive property applies to expressions that contain both addition and multiplication. The parenthesis can be removed if the number multiplied by a sum is individually multiplied by each digit in the sum. 2x(3+5)=2x3+2x5 The property remains valid regardless of how many terms are there in the sum. Identity Element- Identify elements are neutral elements that do not affect the other elements when combined with them. Addition- For addition, the identity element is 0 2+0=2 Multiplication- For multiplication, the identity element is 1, 2x1=2 These are the most common properties for arithmetic problems that help in solving the sums and getting the right answers.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Properties of Products
Step-by-step Lesson- Identify multiplication operations as commutative,
zero property, associative, or distributive.
- Guided Lesson
- This is more of a re-inforcer than a leading worksheet. I remind
them more about the property than exploring the actual property.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- I work you through the problems in a round about fashion. Because
the process is more important in this set.
- Practice Worksheet
- Identify the property of multiplication that is used in each case.
- Matching Worksheet
- Match the equation sentences that are equal or mean the same thing.
- Properties of Division and Multiplication - It's all about finding equal expressions using your knowledge of operations.
The first reviews the commutative, associative, distributive, and zero property.
- Homework 1- What property of multiplication is displayed?
- Homework 2- Write 2 related multiplication facts for each problem.
- Homework 3- Write the four math facts found in the math fact triangle.
We continue to touch on the basic properties and also introduce very basic algebra.
- Practice 1 Worksheet- Which property of multiplication is displayed?
- Practice 2- Match the equations that are of equal value.
- Practice 3- Rewrite using the Commutative Property.
- Division and Multiplication 2- Determine which letter best answers the question.
- Division and Multiplication 3- Which expression is equal to 14 x 3?
- Division and Multiplication 4Match the expression.
- Division and Multiplication 5Watch the operations here.