Represent a Fraction on a Number Line Worksheets
How to Represent a Fraction on a Numbers Line - Using the 'slices of pizza' is an old age trick of representing the fractions. Now it's time to think of something else that shows your grip on the fractions. Another way of representing fractions is to draw them on a number line. This way of representing fractions on a number line helps in a better understanding of the mathematical concepts concerning fractions. Placing fractions on a number line shows the intervals between two fractions. Now let's see how we can represent fractions on a number line. Consider the example: -2/3, 4/3, -5/3, 7/3 represent the fractions on a number line. Draw a line with 0 right in the middle of the number line. Mark negative values on the left side of 0 and positive on the right side from 1 to 7 or as required looking at numerators. The highest numerator number will be the last mark. Now divide each part further like 0 to 1, 1 to 2 into 3 smaller sections. At this point, you have the number line ready. To represent -2/3, jump 2 smaller sections on the left side of the 0. To represent 4/3 move 4 smaller sections on the right side of the 0 and continue the marking throughout the number line until all the fractions are represented. For every type of fraction, keep in mind to divide the marked parts into smaller parts looking at the denominator of the fraction.
Aligned Standard: Grade 3 Fractions - 3.NF.2
- Define Points Step-by-step Lesson- We ask you to determine the fractions represented by the set numbers line.
- Guided Lesson - Tell us the points and mark off the points as they are presented.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I should probably have marked off all the point on these. Let me know how the kids do with it and I can rework it.
- Practice Worksheet - Draw and mark the numbers line to match the fraction presented.
- Matching Worksheet - Find the fraction that is shown on the numbers line.
- Answer Keys - These are for all the unlocked materials above.
These sheets span all the boundaries of this standard.