Addition Math Facts Worksheets
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 1 Operations - 1.OA.6
The concept of adding two values is the foundation which math is built upon. This is essentially counting up by the second quantity to the first quantity. There are many different approaches that can be taken to learn this mentally. Many students simply learn this through consistent practice. When we are look at operations between two single digit numbers, we refer to this as math facts. In this selection of worksheets and lessons we focus on how you add two math facts together. We encourage you to practice with this series of worksheets often. There are a total of 20 practice sheets on this page. All of the problems are setup in a vertical orientation for you.
Addition Math Facts Worksheets For You:
- Math Facts Sums as Counts Guided Lesson- This guides students through the entire process of small sums. We relate each problem to a an equal counting task.
- Step-by-Step Lesson- Students are walked through the entire procedure for solving adding math facts problems. A problem is displayed and then we show you the two step process to solve it.
- Worksheet 1 - Twenty problems for students to wrestle with. There are handful of worksheets just like this below.
- Mad Minute Addition 1 - See how many problems you can get right in 60 seconds.
You say you need a plethora of practice sheets? This should help.
- Practice 2 - The first thing we teach students is that if you start with the first addend and count up the value of the second you get the same answer.
- Practice 3 - There are a number of quick strategies to help you solving problems such as this. Refer to the bottom of this page.
- Practice 4 - If you are having any trouble with these problems, think back to using a numbers line.
- Practice 5 - When you are working with facts that when combined are greater than 10, it helps to pull the 10 out first.
- Practice 6 - It is also helpful to use flashcards. A good study strategy is to do your addition flashcards for 10 minutes every other day.
- Practice 7 - Make sure to pace yourself when studying these facts.
- Practice 8 - The focus of these problems is between two single digit numbers, but it is the fundamentals for all forms of addition.
- Practice 9 - As you progress with these types of problems, you will eventually be able to do these in your head.
- Practice 10 - It often will help you make sure your place values are aligned when working with values that are greater than 10.
- Practice 11 - The next step is learning how to add two double digit values using the column method.
- Practice 12 - You will want to make sure that you understand the concept of zero.
- Practice 13 - It sometimes helps to work with fixed addends.
- Practice 14 - Your last mixed addend vertically setup problems.
30 problems for you to manage in 60 seconds. Some teachers go for 60 problems. I attended a conference in Boston a few years back that cited research that a problem every 2 seconds is the optimal learning speed for long term success.
- Mad Minute 2 - I would suggest just trying the first worksheet and then see how you can improve your approach with this one.
- Mad Minute 3 - I like to get all the zero and one problems right away. That method is not effective for all people.
- Mad Minute 4 - Staying organized is your key to finishing this quickly.
- Mad Minute 5 - Try to write neatly, it will help you focus and stay on the task at hand.
How to Solve These Types of Problems
In this example we will work with finding the sum between 7 and 4, as you will see to your right. Your first step is to pick either of these numbers to start with. It makes it less work if you start with the larger value. The next step is to understand that the addition symbol tells us to count up by the other number, in this case 4. So we will count up 4 from our starting value of 7. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
11 is our final answer.
How to Learn to Add Quickly
It is essential to learn to do quick math mentally rather than using a calculator. It helps improve your counting skills and enables you to save time while increasing your mental capability.
Can you add the numbers that are found belowin 5 seconds?
7 +5 +6 +4 +3 +8 +1 +4 =?
Your answer is most probably 38. If you couldn't do it in five seconds, then don't worry. Here are a few tips for you.
The best trick of learning to add quickly is looking for complements. Complements are missing addend values that will make a sum of 10 when added to the number you are evaluating. I.e., if you have a number 9, then you look for its complement 1. Using this simple technique will help you add numbers mentally. So, if we make a list of all complements it would be: 1 for 9 , 2 for 8 , 3 for 7 , 4 for 6 , 5 for 5.
These numbers, when added with their complements, produce the number 10. If you are adding double digit numbers such as:
21 + 36 + 33 + 61 =?
The answer is 151. A great way of dealing with double-digit addition is breaking them down into tens and one place value columns. I.e.
20 + 1 , 30 + 3 , 30 + 6 , 60 + 1
Using these simple techniques will greatly help you add numbers more quicker and more effectively.