Length Word Problems In Units
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 1 Measurement - 1.MD.2
What Are the Common Units of Length? Understanding measurement is an important part of mathematics. Every object has a set of dimensions that determines its shape and size. One measurement is the length that you can measure using your ruler. The length determines how long or short an object is. You must understand that when you measure length, you figure out two things. One is the number that determines the size of an object and a word that describes the measurement. Numbers without units hold no meaning, and that is why we use units of measurement that give a number meaning. There are four common units of measurement for length, and these include millimeter, centimeter, meter, and kilometer. Millimeter - The smallest unit for measuring length is a millimeter, and its abbreviation is mm. It is used for measuring something as small as a plant seed. Centimeter - A unit larger than a millimeter is centimeter. The abbreviation of the centimeter is cm. There are 10 millimeters in one centimeter. Meter - A unit larger than centimeter is meter, and its abbreviation is m. One meter is equal to 100 centimeters. Kilometer - The longest unit of measuring length is kilometer, and the abbreviation for kilometer is km. One kilometer is equal to 1000 meters. These worksheets help stduenst identify measures and their units in word problem form.
- Clocks and Standard Units Step-by-step Lesson-
We use boxes as our standard units and I believe it works well.
- Units of Boxes Guided Lesson
- Compare the box units to the height of a flower, a jar, and a
- Dotted Guided Lesson Explanation
- We work with the dotted method of plotting out height for students.
- Units as Rewards Word
Problems - These are like input, output problems that help you
take your time to understand.
- Match the Input Problems
- Match the correlating answers for each word problem.
I hit this topic from every possible angle I have seen or could dream up.
- How Tall and Compare Heights Worksheet 1- Write the length of each object. Circle the measure of the largest object.
- Horizontal Measurement and Comparison Worksheet 2- Write the number of units long each object is in the circles. Color in the circle of the object with the shortest length.
- Continuous Units Worksheet 3- Label the length of each box set.
- Make the Objects to Length Worksheet 4- Use the boxes below as your drawing scale for 1-3.
- Fixed Cube Height Worksheet 5- The standard size of a cube is shown to the right. How many cubes tall are each of the objects?
- Fixed Cube Length Worksheet 6- The standard size of a cube is shown to the right. How many cubes long are each of the objects?