Comparing Two-digit Numbers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 1 Numbers- 1.NBT.3
- Place Value Comparisons Step-by-step
Lesson- We compare numbers by place value after clearly stating
there position and value.
- Circle the Larger Number Worksheet-
Find the bigger number in each set and circle and write it.
- Greater Than, Less Than, Equal
To- A nice five-pack of problems.
- Words, Digits, and Pictures Guided
Lesson - Walk through using greater than, less than, or equal
in sentences, number form, and picture form. A trifecta!
- Breaking It Down Guided Lesson
Explanation - Using the strategies we learned in the lesson,
here is more detail for students.
- Compare Numbers of Shapes
- You will look this one and say "What the! How does that relate
to this standard?" I said the same when a colleague showed
me this format. Throw this one in there to make sure the focus on
the true use of the skill.
- Monster Strategy - We review
a good strategy to follow when comparing numbers.
- Use Your Sign - A straight up
use of the symbols >, <, or =. I teach them to look for equal
numbers, if not point to the smaller number.
View Answer Keys- All the answer keys in one file.
These really get students ready to start using symbols to simplify the language in number comparisons.
- Guided Lesson 1 - We first looking for the largest and then smallest integer in a number series.
- Guided Lesson 2 - This is leading us toward using symbols.
- Draw More or Less Guided Lesson 3 - This is where math and art fuse into one.
- Step-by-step Lesson 1 - We revisit the concept of being less than.
- Step-by-step Lesson 2 - We get to the highest level of using this skill.
I made these slightly more enjoyable by getting students to draw.
- Comparing Balloons Worksheet - Doesn't numbers on balloons just making every math problem more fun to do?
- Draw More or Less Worksheet - I kept the changes within four objects to make it not as cumbersome.
- Mark Numbers Worksheet - They describe a number and you put a check down for it.
- Compare Number Tables Worksheet - This is neat because you are really comparing ten numbers at once.